Volunteer at VIDA
Want to lend a hand? VIDA depends on a team of dedicated, self-motivated, creative volunteers to pursue its mission.
VIDA: Women in Literary Arts (VIDA) is an all-volunteer non-profit intersectional feminist literary organization dedicated to creating transparency surrounding gender imbalances and the lack of diversity in the literary landscape. VIDA also aims to amplify historically-marginalized voices, including Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC); writers with disabilities; and queer, trans, and gender nonconforming individuals.
As an intersectional feminist organization, VIDA strongly believes that opportunities must be widely provided so as to include those historically marginalized from positions of power. We believe that the communities we serve must also be represented in all aspects of our organization. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.
VIDA Media & News Director
VIDA Media & News Director
VIDA Board of Directors
VIDA is an all-volunteer national organization and is not location based. Volunteers can work from anywhere but must have reliable access to the internet.
The VIDA Media & News Director will help shape VIDA’s social media presence, which includes but is not limited to the VIDA Facebook page, Twitter, and Instagram; streamlines VIDA media requests; and works on media outreach.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING/HOPING/ETC. FOR
An awesome social-justice-minded human to:
- manage VIDA’s social media presence, which includes but is not limited to the VIDA Facebook page, Twitter, and Instagram;
- bring on as many team leads or volunteers as they deem necessary, including social media volunteers;
- streamline VIDA media requests and helping to craft responses;
- collaborate with the VIDA Board of Directors on any and all news related matters, including interviews and responses to statements or literary controversies;
- work closely with the other VIDA Directors to ensure their content is being shared in an appropriate and timely manner;
- identify media partners;
- increase VIDA’s presence online and in the larger literary community;
- and serve as Co-Chair on the VIDA Marketing Committee.
WHAT WE NEED
- Experience engaging with the literary community on social media.
- Experience managing multiple social media platforms, or a strong willingness to learn.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead a team of volunteers.
- Lots of communication via Slack (no experience needed).
- Someone who shares VIDA’s values
- and understands our core mission as an intersectional feminist literary organization.
WHAT WE’VE GOT
At VIDA, we value the time, energy, and direct input of the volunteers who make our organization possible. While this is currently an unpaid position, our strategic vision is to become an organization with a fully paid staff of dedicated, literary folks. We are looking for volunteers who will help us grow in that direction, and join a supportive, grassroots community that can offer:
- Free VIDA t-shirt!
- Letters of recommendation
- Reimbursement for attending conferences or events when representing VIDA
- Involvement in a community dedicated to encouraging and supporting historically-marginalized voices in the larger literary community
The average time commitment will vary, but can be anywhere from 3 to 10 hours a week. We’re hoping someone will stick with VIDA for at least one year, but we understand that life happens! We ask that all volunteers communicate with us if their schedule and/or needs change.
Email email@example.com with the subject line “VIDA Media & News Director.” Tell us why you want to join VIDA in this role, attach a resume or CV, and include any other information you think might be helpful in considering you for this volunteer position.